The topic I want to talk about is a half smile. At first I was offended when people gave me a half smile and abruptly wiped the smile off while you were looking. Now I think there are some secret rules that I am not privy to about the situations where a half smile is warranted. Here is my guess about what the rules for a half smile are :
- When a stranger is smiling at you.
- You think you know this person but you are not sure you will get a smile back
- If you don't smile the situation can get nasty
- It's polite to give a half smile
- I want to acknowledge the person but do not want to show familiarity
In my humble opinion if there is a situation where a half smile is warranted then a full smile is better. What do you think are the situations where half smiles are recommended. What are the downsides of a full smile?
As a reward for reading this post here is a slideshow of all the half-smile pics on Flickr ( see at your own risk )